[Healeys] Healey Memories---more about the kindness of bygone days

Michael Oritt michael.oritt at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 18:41:04 MST 2021

I attended Conclave in Grand Rapids, MN in 2001 and the plan was for my
wife to fly into Duluth so we could come home to MD via the UP and possibly
Canada.  I met her at the airport, threw her bag in the boot, pushed the
"Start" button and BANG--followed by smoke and loud exhaust noise, etc.
Clearly a blown head gasket.  I had my membership book with me and
reached out to Bob Bell of Duluth who had just returned from the event with
car problems of his own. Nevertheless he met me and I was able to coax the
car to his house nearby.

Bob pretty much put his life on hold for a couple of days: We pulled the
head to find that the bridge between cylinders 1 and 2 was eroded.  Bob was
a welder and he carefully laid in some metal and built the bridge back up.
After a trip to the machine shop to make things flat we put the head back
on and voila--a running car again!  The repair lasted me back to MD and I
ultimately replaced the head with a DW AL model, but that's a different
story.

Bob and his wife put us up at their home and just couldn't do enough for
us. Fortunately I have had the opportunity to pay it forward to some other
Healey folks in mild distress--That's how it works!

--
Best--Michael