[Healeys] Greetings

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sat Dec 25 09:48:56 MST 2021

Copped from one of the Facebook Healey groups (Borrowed, adapted, and
translated into American, from someone else who borrowed and adapted ...):

Twas the day before Christmas and out in the shed, Sat a tired old
Healey, it's battery dead.

It's fenders were rusted, the floor pans had holes, the seats and
carpets had been eaten by moles. (Don’t even ask about the outer sills!!)

The tyres had dry rot, the fuel tank was leaking, a turn of the steering
wheel sent tie rods a-creaking.

So I put on my coat with a weight on my heart, and went out to the shed
to get it to start.

The engine turned over-there arose such a clatter! I knew from the
sound, "timing chain chatter".

 From under the dash there came a bright flash: the wiring harness had
just turned to ash!

"I've had it with Healey's " I finally swore.

"Enough is too much! I can't take any more!"

When what to my red, teary eyes should appear, but a little Englishman
(hey, I might need a beer!)

"Good day," I heard, as he tapped on my shoulder, "I'm Joe Lucas" he
said as the car continued to smoulder.

"This one can be saved; there's no reason to grieve. All you need is
some faith man, you've got to believe!"

"A hammer! Some duct tape! Get me some tools! When you work on these
cars, just make up the rules!"

"We'll get her cranked over - no way that she'll stall ( but stand over
there with your back to the wall)."

A cough and a splutter, the cacophony stunning, I couldn't believe it!
The damn thing was running!

The ghost winked at me and said, kicking a tyre, "Whatever you do, DO
NOT TOUCH THIS WIRE!"

The old man then vanished amid sneezes and farts, but when the smoke
cleared he had left me some parts.

So I opened the shed door and let the windows down, put pedal to metal
and went in to town.

And I thought to myself as I crunched second gear-

Merry Christmas to all and Happy New Year.