[Healeys] [OT] Gas

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sat Dec 11 10:15:36 MST 2021

Some interesting history:

https://jalopnik.com/a-brief-history-of-gasoline-they-lied-about-the-scienc-1848189752

There's one disputable claim in the article, re:

"... he failed to advance the car’s ignition and was struck by its hand
crank when the motor kicked back, breaking his jaw ..."

I used to drive my dad's Model As, which had manual advance (a lever on
the steering column). For starting, you had to RETARD spark timing--with
either the starter or hand crank (I think I did this one time)--not
ADVANCE it. Same with his 1919 fire engine.

Footnote: Bartles & Jaymes /were/ mythical, but Carlo Rossi was real; my
mom knew him when she worked at Gallo.