[Healeys] Wiper Motor Rack BN1 or BN2?

Michael MacLean springer.mike51 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 17:18:22 MST 2021

I am trying to fit the wiper motor, rack and wheelboxes to my BN2.  I have
a restored BN2 wiper motor (according to pictures in the AH Spares digital
catalog it is the correct one) but it seems I have a BN1 cable, casing and
wheel boxes.  In any case, the wiper shafts do not line up with the holes
in the shroud. The BN1 wheel boxes are locked in place by a collar fitted
in place at the wheel boxes. So, there is no adjustment.  From looking at
catalogs the BN2 cable casing was a metal tube like the cars up to BN7.
Not sure why the mixup in parts.  The setup was given to me this way.  I am
hoping the shroud is centered OK, but I can't see how it could not be,
although nothing fits right on this car.  I can get the tubes required in a
complete 3 piece tube set from AH Spares or Ahead4Healeys, but at over $50
I don't know if the flares that locate the wheel boxes will come up short
again.  I would cut to length some tubing and flare it with my brake flare
kit, but I do not have the fitting that locks into the wiper motor to screw
the first tube to.  Is there a difference in distance dimensions between
BN1 and BN2/7 holes in the shroud from the wiper motor?  I only ask because
returns to the UK are darn near impossible or worth the cost.  Does someone
have a BN2/7 wiper motor cable assembly out of the car they can measure
from the wiper motor where the cable exits the wiper motor to the wiper arm
shaft?
Mike MacLean