[Healeys] Center change gear sticks

simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com
Fri Dec 3 16:25:25 MST 2021

With Harold’s brass bush measurements in hand, I went out to the garage and measured a nylon bush from a spare BJ8 gearbox top cover that has a 22B casting number and the threaded pin type ‘stick’ retainers.  This bush is nominally .742 in diameter, so the lever / bush assemblies themselves will not interchange – the holes different sizes - the socket piece is a different part #.

I believe that the whole top cover assembly will interchange on the gearbox case.

The original parts list indicates that there were approx. 18 early BJ8 gearboxes that were either BJ7, or had BJ7 top covers installed, or possibly were true BJ8 gearboxes with roll pins.  It’s possible that Simon’s gold seal replacement is one of these, as anything later would have the threaded pins in the turret.

>> Or it’s a subtle BMC blend.

To me, it’s much more likely that the rebuilders have fitted a replacement nylon bush – probably from a period MGB transmission.  Or possibly have fitted a BJ8 socket piece into the early top cover, along with a BJ8 lever and bush.  Simon would have to start taking things apart again to find out – I’m sure that he doesn’t want to do that!

>> The nylon bush that came out is the same as the new from AH Spares ie not MGB. And, no, he doesn’t want to take things apart again. But, I am getting a new carpet set so will have tunnel cover out. I may take it all apart and see what’s what.

I think that the thing to cling to is that it worked for 25++ years even though it appears to be wrong somehow. And, of course, it’s still working with its roll pins and nylon bush.

I’ll try and get some sense out of all of this. Maybe if/when I have the two sticks side by side.

Simon

I have a top shift BT7, and a BJ8 – and had several others.  I’ve never noticed a huge big difference in the way they shift.  One should remove the shift lever and clean out the hole and relubricate things every decade or so.  I keep the nylon bush lubed the same as the brass one. (I should say kept as the BJ8 now has a Smitty 5-speed installed).  I suspect that the factory changed to the nylon bush because it was likely way cheaper to manufacture.

Earl Kagna

Victoria BC

BJ8, BT7 tri-carb