[Healeys] Brake problem

gradea1 at charter.net gradea1 at charter.net
Fri Aug 13 12:29:41 MDT 2021

Paul-If you assembled everything correctly and you have no leeks (a
pun, sorry, couldn't resist-pun my name) but the pedal is still
"spongy" you still have air in the system. If this is the early 100-6
master cylinder forget about it. That system is almost impossible to
bleed unless you pressure bleed it. That tiny reservoir is just not
capable of holding enough fluid to effect a bleed. Suggest you upgrade
to the later master cylinder with a separate canister. That will solve
the bleeding issues.
However, the fact that you do not have a handbrake smacks of an
assembly or adjustment or incorrect part problem. Did you get the
exact correct replacement brake shoes, or have your originals relined?
If so, you should be able to adjust up and lock the wheels. Then back
off until they just rub. If the handbrake lever is not overstretched,
you should be able to make an adjustment for 5 or so clicks to lock
the wheels. Regards, Hank Leach (not Leech)

Healeys"