[Healeys] 100 lifters

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Mon Aug 9 10:11:09 MDT 2021

Unless there's been another one, the reduction in ZDDP in thinner
viscosity oils happened years ago, coincident with catalytic converters
being installed on, well, pretty much every car. Supposedly, thicker
oils, like 20W-50 were allowed to keep higher levels, since no modern
cars use such a thick oil (BMW apparently excepted). Does anyone know if
the levels were reduced again? Some brands, like Castrol and Valvoline,
have advertised their ZDDP levels to capitalize on this market.

According to this, the additive package in VR1 was 'reformulated' (also,
it's the 'P'--phosphorous--in ZDDP that provides the anti-wear aspect):

https://www.valvoline.com/about-us/faq/racing-oil-faq