[Healeys] 100 lifters

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Aug 8 20:57:03 MDT 2021

Subject to debate. The literature I've seen from the oil companies
stress that their products are carefully formulated, and adding anything
to them is not a good idea. Also, ZDDP was first used as a detergent,
with its wear surface protection a surprising side-effect (like how
tetra-ethyl lead was added to gas to increase octane rating, and its
cushioning and protecting of valve seats was a side-effect). But, it's
human nature to think "If a little of this is good, a lot HAS to be
better," but it's not necessarily true. ZDDP is corrosive in high
concentrations; the 'sweet spot' appears to be about 1,500PPM.

Ordinarily, I'd attribute Michael's failed lifters (cam?) to improper
break-in, but I'm sure M used proper procedures, which makes this doubly
mysterious and concerning. I don't know how bucket lifters would change
the outcome; their main benefit seems to be reduced wear of the block.