[Healeys] 100 lifters

Steven Kingsbury airtightproductions at icloud.com
Thu Aug 5 08:49:20 MDT 2021

Thanks for the feedback. My tappets have never been silent. They have always made noise and though not as loud as my '68 MGB/GT that I had, they're not quiet. And after having adjusted them when I retorqued the head at 500 mile mark, they still weren't silent. They sound like my old BN1 did. And because I have louvered bonnet on this car, they seem even a bit louder, but with the bonnet up and running in the garage, they sound almost exactly like my old car. Now when I'm out driving they seem pretty silent and the engine runs very smooth.
   As for "fir" in the oil. When I drained my engine at the 500 mile mark, I ran all of the oil through a fine, paint filter and then used a magnet in the filter. Nothing appeared on the magnet. I also took the magnet and ran it through the oil before I poured it through the filter, and again nothing. I even ran the magnet through the empty drain pan after transferring the oil, and again, nothing.
   Sorry to hear about your troubles and thank you for the tips on what to listen for and what to look for. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. And just to be clear, these lifters you used are not the new "new" ones available through AH Spares. Rather they are New Old Stock ones that have been in you possession for quite a while now, right?
   Again, good luck and hopefully the cam isn't completely destroyed and you caught it in time.
Thanks!
Steven