[Healeys] Overdrive pressure

simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com
Mon Aug 2 14:17:54 MDT 2021

David, Hank...thank you for help and advice. Hank you were just about on the
money.

You'll recall that my OD was slipping in & out at low revs? Of course you
do.

I bought a gauge from ODSpares, excellent people/very helpful. (In
retrospect, I wonder how I've managed for so long without one).

Pressure showed as well into the 470 to 490 range whilst OD was engaged at
+/- 1,500 rpm in 4th. Which is GOOD.

But, pressure dropped to zero immediately upon disengaging and switching
off. Which is BAD.

The little hole in the so-called "Valve operating" was/is clear.

I phoned Dave Twigger at ODSpares who said that there was debris under the
ball on the seat there OR, if it was clear, then the ball needed reseating.

So, I gave the ball a few brisk taps and the pressure drop did slow a little
up on the next gauge test.

I gave it some more taps and it improved somewhat again. Now takes about 30
seconds to get down to, say, 20psi and then loses pressure quite slowly.

So:-

1.	How hard can one "Tap" the ball? Not the easiest question to answer,
I do appreciate that. One man's tap is another man's wallop?

I suspect I'll have to repeat the process..

2.	What time duration is acceptable in operating terms for the pressure
drop? What am I aiming at?

Thanks, Simon