[Healeys] Diff oil

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Aug 1 19:47:39 MDT 2021

There's some debate that the EP--'Extreme Pressure' sulfur
compounds*--additives used in GL-5 are not suitable for gearboxes with
brass or bronze components. But, at most they may turn these copper
alloys blackish and I've never heard of any issues in Healeys. I've used
MT-90, which is GL-4 with somewhat less EP additives, in both my Healey
gearboxes for years, and when I tore down the BJ8's gearbox the brass
components were pristine. I use Redline 75W-110 GL-5 in the BJ8's diff
with no issues.

Sniff some GL-5 sometime, and see if it doesn't smell a bit of brimstone.

bs