[Healeys] On the subject of oil leaks and racing

rfbegani at gmail.com rfbegani at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 15:50:59 MDT 2021

Gary:

Thanks for your comments.  I had thought of such a diaper pan for my situation, until I can remove the transmission and try and fix the problem as there is a very large puddle when coming to a halt after driving at high speeds for a long distance.

On the same note, my German friend who raced British and European cars mentioned that on one occasion in the middle of a race the amount of oil had caused the clutch to slip.  One of the pit crew suggested that there may be a hole in the top of the bell housing so you can pour diesel fuel through the hole and flush the oil out off the clutch.  The car did have such a hole so they were able to keep it in the race.  I looked my BJ8 does not have a flushing hole in the bell housing, so I must live with a slippage in 4th gear for a while.

Meanwhile, PVC system applying negative pressure in the crankcase has reduced the leakage to a pint of oil every 100 miles at highway speed of 60 MPH and above   Not acceptable on a new rebuild. Either the Archimedes screw is not doing its’ job or the gasket or?

67 BJ8

Bob Begani