[Healeys] More on 100 Door Checks

Michael MacLean springer.mike51 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 19:24:48 MDT 2021

The bad door check was replaced by another Moss (AH Spares) today.  It has
not been installed yet.  I will do that after dinner tonight.  There was
one thing about the replacement door check though.  It was assembled
incorrectly.   You can see in Roger Moment's article in the latest Austin
Healey Magazine the curved arm that connects to the front door frame is
coming out of a slot in the door check that is closer to the outside edge
of the A pillar.  You can see in the picture below from the driver's side
that has been installed correctly.   The curve in the arm was in the
opposite direction.  If you look at the AH Spares website you can see in
the picture what I am talking about.  Of course you are saying why don't
you just flip it over and move on.  The only reason I bring this up is the
arm was locked in it's full extended position, tightly clamped between the
two leaf type springs.  Without possibly bending the curved arm it was
quite difficult to back the arm out to turn it over.  I finally used a flat
punch and a small hammer to put pressure on the little leaf springs.
Overall this assembly is not that well made for $80.
Mike MacLean