[Healeys] BN2 Brake Problem

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Apr 25 11:23:32 MDT 2021

Hank,

Good point. I'm on record being very 'anti-County,' having had hugely
disruptive failures with their water pumps. The two rears are 'no-name'
so possibly County,  and the one front cyl I put in is Moss 'Classic
Gold,' so possibly County (IIRC, it said 'Taiwan' on the box). The other
three fronts are, AFAIK, original Girling with, yes, probably seal kits
from Moss (we redid the brakes during restoration, and IIRC my dad did
most of the work*). I'm loathing having to pull a front drum and
re-pack, shim etc. again but will do so if no other solution works (I've
already checked the rears for leaks). I did use a 'no-name' rear cyl on
my BJ8, but so far it's given me no issues (that I know of).

*Side note: When I went to install one of the new rear cylinders the
fitting would not go in easily, even though I was extremely careful not
to cross-thread. Thinking I got a cyl with a bunged thread I ordered
another, and had the same problem! I finally realized that when my dad
rebuilt the brake system he used new steel lines, but likely re-used the
(steel) fittings (correct fittings are available, but not common). On
close inspection, the threads of the fitting were rust-colored, and even
when tested on the bench did not want to screw in as easily as they
should have. Even a thin coat of rust presents high resistance to
torquing so I've taken to putting a VERY thin application of high-temp
anti-seize on the threads ONLY (I can hear the howls of 'heresy!' and
"you're gonna die!" already ;).  I use less than a BB in size of
anti-seize and put it nowhere near the sealing surface, so contamination
of the fluid, seal failures, etc. is unlikely (I know of some owners who
use teflon tape, but I could see that conceivably posing a problem). Not
only should this prevent rust-galling of steel-steel threads, it should
make the fittings much easier to remove, so rounding out the nut is less
likely. Seizing due to rust shouldn't be an issue with cupro-nickel
lines and brass fittings. As usual, the interwebs are in violent
disagreement on the subject (examples):

https://www.camaros.net/threads/anti-seize-on-brake-fittings.462049/

https://www.hotrodders.com/threads/anti-seize-on-brake-line-fittings.174299/

Bob