[Healeys] another pertronix question

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Wed Apr 21 08:55:07 MDT 2021

Side note:

It's interesting--to a wonk like me, at least--that the Pertronix
Ignitor I for 4-cyl Healeys doesn't need/use the magnet 'collar' that
the 6-cyl cars' unit does. Apparently, the Hall Effect sensor in the
Ignitor is sensitive enough to detect the lobes of the distributor cam
by shape. When I opened the box for my BN2 I thought "Damn, they forgot
to pack the magnet collar;" but it wasn't mentioned in the instructions
so I installed it. It's worked flawlessly (but I only have a few hundred
miles on it).

I once owned/drove an old Subaru. It had a 'standard' distributor/coil
setup, but used an electronic points module that looked exactly like an
Ignitor I (AFAIK Pertronix didn't supply OEM manufacturers). That car
was driven hard by myself and a couple of my nephews, and had about 175K
miles on it when it finally met the scrapper.

bs