[Healeys] electronic ignition

gradea1 at charter.net gradea1 at charter.net
Mon Apr 19 10:50:50 MDT 2021

Ira-sounds like you still are having issues with the distributor
settings. One thing that was not discussed, surrounding the pinging,
was the vacuum advance diaphram. Over the years they are known to
perish. Use a mity-vac or yourself to suck on the tube and watch the
movement of the point plate in the distributor. If it does not move,
you have no vacuum advance. This will affect drivability.
As far as which electronic unit to add, I am a fan of Pertronix:
https://pertronixbrands.com/ as there are countless units out there
with no issues. Some do go bad naturally, and some if key is left on
for extended periods, but they seem to be the best overall. For a trip
to California, I would suggest you carry a spare distributor set up
with good points, or at least a set of points and condenser as backup.
Electronics are just that until they fail. Hank