[Healeys] Door Check has another problem

Michael MacLean rrengineer.mike at att.net
Wed Apr 14 00:28:41 MDT 2021

I just knew it was too easy installing the door checks in my BN2 with Roger Moment's instructions.  Tonight I installed the passenger side door check.  After connecting the arm to the clevis attached to the door, I swung the door all the way open to see if it held the door open as it should.  No problem.  The problem came when I tried to close the door.  The two spring loaded clips would not slip over the two small bars they popped over when I opened the door.  You can see what I am talking about in the attached photo.  The blue arrow is pointing to the spring loaded clips that work one way, but not the other.  when I try to close the door, it stops and if I apply a little pressure the inner plate in the "A" pillar looks to be bending and there is a small cracking sound that scares me.  I would like to get this one to work as a new assembly from Moss is $85.  After tax and shipping that would be over $100.  I bought these some time back when they were closer to $50.  Nothing with this car is ever easy.Mike MacLean