[Healeys] sheet metal

gradea1 at charter.net gradea1 at charter.net
Fri Apr 9 12:06:09 MDT 2021

There is a bit of interesting history here so the answer is not set in
stone. When first designed as the "Hundred" Geoff Healey spece'd the
various component's values on the drawings. In the floor area, he
called for 18 ga. material. When the cars got into production at
Longbridge, Austin's design office decided that they could save a few
bucks by reducing the floor metal to .015. As production proceeded
they discovered that when the cars settled to the floor, fully loaded,
they could not open the doors! Quickly a solution had to be found. The
floor material was removed and a "100" pattern was stamped into the
panel to give it rigidity. (photo attached of my early 100, with
welded in repair panel) ...all this to save a buck! That procedure
became a manufacturing standard for these cars. Hank

Healeys"