[Healeys] Fwd: Black watery sooty liquid

simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com
Sat Apr 3 03:37:45 MDT 2021

Don’t drill for God’s sake.

It’s just soot and condensation. It stops when the system warms up and dries itself out.

I’ve always presumed this to be the cause of mild steel boxes rusting from the inside out. When mild steel systems were more or less universal and cars’ tuning was not up to modern standards, we were told that a car always had to run for so long or so far in order to dry out the exhaust.

All of which is probably moot as most of our cars exhaust boxes don’t last long enough to rust! My stainless is still holding together but, despite my care and attention, it has some very significant dents and bashes.

Simon