[Healeys] Fwd: Black watery sooty liquid

Patrick & Caroline Quinn p_cquinn at tpg.com.au
Sat Apr 3 00:12:28 MDT 2021

Hello

Both my Healey and Austin-Healey do the same. It’s soot in the exhaust system mixing with the moist exhaust gases and escaping out the exhaust pipe. It’s normal and if you let the exhaust system heat up to normal operating temperature it will stop, which is also normal.

Our four year old Mercedes-Benz does the same.

When you burn a litre of petrol it mixes with oxygen and gives off carbon dioxide and water plus heat of course. That carbon dioxide and water has to go somewhere and if the engine/exhaust is hot enough it evaporates but if it’s not warm it comes out as dirty water.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn

Blue Mountains, Australia