[Healeys] It just quit

Mike Sinclair phoenix722 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 1 19:16:31 MDT 2021

I'm stumped. The Healey quit on me the other day (BJ8).  Was running
great, then a slight miss for a mile or so, then very suddenly quit.
Tach went to zero instantly.  Fuel pump clicks after it has sat for
awhile, engine turns over rapidly, but nothing happens, even with
starter fluid.  Not a whimper.

So far I have:

Checked for spark at a plug.  OK, but may not be under load.

Checked for fuel flow at filter exit. Plenty.

Per instructions in the manual, opened points and checked for voltage at
coil SW and CB, at distributor connection from coil, across points, all 12v.

Closed points, removed high tension lead from distributor and looked for
spark on opening points.  I get a good 3/16" spark.

Checked point gap.  0.015".  Points look new.

Replaced condenser.  I've heard they are not always ok.  No change.

The distributor was gone thru recently, with new rotor and points.  Look
clean, no carbon tracks, etc.

Puff test on carbs.  OK.

Any ideas?  Coil?

Thanks, Mike