[Healeys] 100-4 Tires

rfbegani at gmail.com rfbegani at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 06:46:09 MDT 2020

Simon:

I bought the Michelin  XAS 180R15 from Longstone and installed them on my 67 BJ8 for the same reason that my 165 tires were old not worn. They fill up the wheel wells very nicely and hold the pavement. The ride is great.  I improved the ride removing 90%+ of the 50-65 mph shake by have them shaved so the tire is truly round and rubber meets the pavement flat.  First time in 30 years of owning a Healey I have a smooth ride and can go over 50 mph when my wife is with me.  Finding a tire shop who has a machine to shave the tires is difficult.

The only flaw in them is my right rear tire rubs the dog leg flange when I make a hard turn to the left.  Searched the archives and found 3 other big Healey listeners over the past 20 year who reported the same problem on the same wheel.  So either it is a situation whereby it affects only a few cars which maybe have right rear fenders with a smaller opening from the factory or my restorer used a different flange to fix the rusted dog leg.  Who knows.  Yes, I checked the dimensions and the flange is slightly longer from the door jam.

Nevertheless, I love the ride and recommend them

Bob Begani  BJ8