[Healeys] Clutch (I think) problem

Michael Oritt michael.oritt at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 17:11:57 MDT 2020

Lately I haven been noticing that it takes an increased amount of effort to
shift from gear to gear--up or down--no crunching, no grinding, just
resistance.  During a drive today I tested the disengagement of the clutch
and with the car in first unless I have the pedal hard down against the
floor there seems to be a slight but perceptible bit of engagement and the
car will creep very slightly ahead on level ground.   This suggests to me
that the clutch pedal is not being all it can be and while I have not yet
been under the car I am wondering if this is more likely to be a hydraulic
issue (primary or secondary cylinder) or one involving the linkage--wear on
clevis pin, egging out of holes, etc.

What's the best way of diagnosing an issue such as this?

Best--Michael Oritt
100 with Smitty's transmission and hydraulic clutch