[Healeys] 100-4 Tires

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Fri Sep 18 08:47:45 MDT 2020

Depends on the rims. I believe original rims for a 100 are 4 inches wide
(with 48 spokes); if you look at tire guides the largest tire
recommended for that size rim, in a radial, is a 165/70-15. A larger
tire on a 48-spoke wheel would probably break spokes (when I put 185/70
tires on my BJ8 with 60-spoke wheels I broke several spokes). When I
bought tires for my BN2, there were very few options in that
size--actually, only one because it doesn't get driven all that much and
I didn't want to break the bank--which Walmart special ordered for me.
They are Nexen brand, made in S. Korea. I think they look good, handle
well and were about $60/ea at the time (see attached).

A few days ago I pulled the wheels to top up the shocks and discovered
the spines are worn on both the wheels and the hubs (I'm a little
disappointed in myself for not catching that, but we were deep in a
restoration and trying to get it back on the road).  Looks like a new
set of hubs and wheels is in my future; I'm debating going with 4.5"
rims with 175/80s. I'll give Allan Hendrix a call when it's time.

Bob