[Healeys] Fuel pump

Max Byers sbyers at ec.rr.com
Tue Sep 15 17:43:44 MDT 2020

Fred, the BJ7/BJ8 parts manual shows that a pump with a square body was used from Phase 1 to chassis number 28224 in Phase 2.  After that, the pump had a cylindrical body.  Your car should have the late pump.

I installed a backup fuel pump in my BJ8 to prepare for the cross-county trip to Lake Tahoe in 2002, using a generic Autozone electric pump as the backup.  I have no experience with the double-ended pump.

During my post-Conclave tour last September, I broke off from the tour group to motor into Montana alone.  My backup pump (I typically drive outbound on the SU and home on the backup) failed just as I got into Montana.  Once I realized why the car suddenly failed to respond to the accelerator, I switched to the SU and kept going.  I found an identical backup pump at an Autozone in Minot, ND and had it installed in about 20 minutes.  Installing a backup generic pump in series with the SU is pretty simple.    It requires cutting one of the fuel hard lines, but I had already done that anyway to put an in-line filter in it under the right rear seat.  The switch is under the dash.  I have had to use the switch a few times, and it is a comfort to know the option of another pump is there.

Cheers!

Steve Byers

HBJ8L/36666

BJ8 Registry