[Healeys] Severe electrical issue

Fred Wescoe fredwescoe at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 14:31:25 MDT 2020

Listers,

First, thanks to all who responded to my electrical dilemma.  Many people
thought the fuse was the culprit.

I did finally resolve the issue, discovering several causes.

Using the wiring diagram, I started at the solenoid, all the way to the
fuse block and discovered a frayed wire with a corroded connector at the 35
amp fuse.  I corrected and cleaned that connection and when I turned the
key, the 35 amp fuse instantly blew, I obviously couldn't see it happen but
it blew.  Maybe it was blown and I didn't realize it.  The break in the
fuse link was at the very end of the fuse therefore hard to see.  I kept
checking circuits and eventually found a short circuited flasher unit.  I
had switched to LED lights throughout the car a couple of years ago and
used an electronic flasher from SuperBright bulbs.  I replaced that flasher
with an original Lucas flasher, inserted a new 35 amp fuse and
everything was back to normal.  Actually, I was surprised that the Lucas
flasher worked with the LEDs.

Once again, I am impressed with the wisdom and help offered and by the list.

By the way, I called SuperBright to order a new flasher and much to my
surprise, they are sending a free replacement, as long as I send the
original back to them.  I guess they want to discover the cause.  They do
have a 2 year guarantee (they told me about it) on all their electronic
items, no questions asked.  I was impressed and I don't own their stock.

Thanks for all the help,

Fred

66BJ8