[Healeys] Trafficator reinstallation issues

Michael Oritt michael.oritt at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 13:35:42 MDT 2020

I sent my trafficator/horn assembly off to Curt Arndt for refurbishing and
got it back in great condition. However I am having difficulty in
reinstalling it:

1. I have fed the wires down the stator tube and am ready to attach the
trafficator assembly which is done via three #4BA flat head machine screws
that go through the countersunk holes in the stator tube end plate and pick
up the thin copper or brass piece which resembles a spring washer. Because
of the piece's thinness there is really only one thread of engagement and
whenever I attempt to push the head/tube home into its final position I
invariably dislodge one of the screws from the head. Am I doing something
wrong here or am I simply being ham-handed?

2. Is there a trick to getting the olive over the end of the stator tube as
I cannot get it started and before I start exerting force I thought I would
enquire whether it needs to be heated, etc. Getting the old one off was not
easy and i would up having to cut it with a dremel tool. It is possible
that I have slightly buggered the end of the stator tube and wonder if
perhaps I need to dress the end, chamfering it a bit?

Any help will be appreciated--weather is beginning to cool off and I would
like to get the car back on the road.

Best--Michael Oritt, 100 Le Mans