[Healeys] S U fuel pump

Kees Oudesluijs coudesluijs at chello.nl
Tue Oct 20 09:52:09 MDT 2020

The problem with these pumps is mainly lack of use of the car. This will
cause the points to corrode.

Although I do not use my car very much these days I have not encountered
any problems in the past 12 years / ±40.000mls after I rebuild an
original AUF301 SU fuel pump. However the car is kept in a very dry and
heated garage.

Quick wear of new points may also be caused by not cleaning/polishing
them before installing. However there could also be a quality issue with
new points. That is why I prefer using old points that may be a bit worn
but are still serviceable enough to polish.

Dave Dubois designed an optical switch to replace the points. The system
is still being fitted by Pel de Haas in the Netherlands who cooperated
with Dave.

Kees Oudesluijs