[Healeys] Healey Fiesta

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Mon Nov 30 10:12:57 MST 2020

re: "... They are a hoot to drive thanks to the high power/low torque
engine ..."

I think that's a European take; Americans like torquey engines. Even my
Mustang, with 480HP--and comparable max torque--and a 7,400RPM redline
annoys me with its lack of torque below 3,000RPM (a bit of clutch
slippage is required for launch). After over 13K miles with it, and 120K
miles with a previous model, I still manage to stall it occasionally at
launch; I never stall my grunt-heavy Healeys (you can pretty much dump
the clutch at idle, it might ping a little but it'll crawl off). Maybe
that's why Americans preferred Healeys over many high-strung European cars?

Many torquey pushrod engines are still in production and popular
here--Chevy and Dodge come to mind--and, for better-or-worse, diesels
are common where I live. Of course, drag racing is more popular here
than elsewhere.

Bob