[Healeys] Mystery leak solved.

simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com
Sun Nov 22 11:04:22 MST 2020

Hi,

From: Healeys <healeys-bounces at autox.team.net> On Behalf Of Leonard
Berkowitz via Healeys
Sent: 22 November 2020 17:10
To: healeys at autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Mystery leak solved.

Many of you were wondering why I didn't smell gas at first.

My sense is that the black color was a combination of paint, grease and gunk
from the steering column and steering gear box. As for the odor. Believe it
or not there wasn't much of an odor from the small sample I collected but
after a puddle accumulated on my garage floor the smell was pretty obvious.

*    Seems reasonable. And petrol smells less after it's been sitting around
on the floor for a while..

BTW does anyone know the size open end wrench I need to tighten the
connection for the float chamber to the jet tube if it turns out to be the
culprit.

*	Well, if we're talking HD6s &/or if all SUs have the same nut and if
you mean what the Parts Book calls "Cap nut for lid" then my socket is
5/16BSF 1/4W. By all this I mean item 36, arrowed, on the attached. Got to
have that weird little red fibre washer.

Simon

.