[Healeys] Leaking something? 63 BJ7

Leonard Berkowitz DrBerkowitz at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 19 14:15:17 MST 2020

Took the Healey out this afternoon for a drive.  Noticed something leaking.  First thought was the radiator overflow.  Nope!  Checked the radiator, the hoses and the pump which all looked good and there was no "hissing" or steam from any cooling system parts.  Whatever is leaking was a watery black liquid (definitely not antifreeze) coming from the underside of the steering box.  What makes no sense is that it only starts to leak with the engine running.  It appears to be a fairly constant flow and fairly rapid but stops as soon as the engine is shut down.   It is coming from the bottom front of the steering box not from the steering arm where it leaves the box.  Whatever is leaking only feel a little oily but is very watery and black.   I don't have power steering so there isn't any increase in pressure with the engine running, plus it doesn't look or feel like power steering fluid.  I have run out of ideas.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Len