[Healeys] Rough running

R F BEGANI rfbegani at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 14:06:28 MST 2020

Sounds like my BJ8 when I brought it to South Florida where 80 is a cool day. I fixed the poor starting power by cleaning the negative and positive connections. I replaced the negative clamp on the battery. Once you know positively the you have a solid grounds and a fully charged battery it is amazing how the engine will start when the engine is hot. Also, I had my radiator boiled out, installed a pusher fan with manual switch so that I can turn on the fan when driving under 4k rpm and I leave it on while idling before shutting off.

 Inaddition i installed a shovel between the radiator and the front frame member to direct air into the radiator instead of under the car. This is on a recently rebuilt engine. so now when the engine is at over 200 degrees the engine starts. And when driving at 40 mph in traffic and the temperature drops to 212 without the fan and at 70 plus on the freeway it operates at around 200. I should have wrapped the exhaust manifold etc. Will do next time I feel like taking off the carbs.

Bob Begani
67 BJ8