[Healeys] Fuel pump points

Kees Oudesluijs coudesluijs at chello.nl
Sun May 31 07:48:01 MDT 2020

Better not use the diodes. Use the old fashioned capacitors or 18V
transils (or both) these are fitted over the points.

Sometimes SU pumps will not work after being rebuild. This is often due
to incorrect setting of the points of diaphragm, try slightly reducing
the given 0,9mm setting between spring blade and top of the Bakelite
bridge. The lower points are set to 2,3mm. Sometimes it is caused by a
stiff membrane. The original membrane consists of three layers, two
reinforced rubber and one Mylar between the petrol and one of the rubber
membranes. These membrane may stick together after many years and thus
rendering the membrane rather stiff. Prise the membranes apart very
carefully, if the Mylar membrane splits the membrane is finished. Clean
thoroughly between the layers with brake cleaner, let dry completely and
apply a dusting of talcum powder sparingly. This will make the diaphragm
nice and supple again.

Kees Oudesluijs