[Healeys] Restoring Dash Knobs

Charles Schott schottc at knology.net
Sun May 24 17:51:06 MDT 2020

We call it Bakelite but back then they called it hard rubber. I take a sewing pin and scratch out all the dirt and paint from the lettering. Then I fill in the lettering with a couple of coats of Testor's white enamel. After it dries, start with 400 sandpaper to sand off the over fill and I'll usually work up to 1000 sandpaper. Then I use a small paint brush to paint the knobs with Pensbury black ink, being careful not to cover the lettering. After it dries, I polish the knobs with a soft cloth to get a gloss finish.

Regards,

Charlie