[Healeys] Rivets for Windshield --- advice?

skip saunders tfsbj7 at gmail.com
Tue May 12 13:06:44 MDT 2020

The chrome pieces for the windshield on my BJ8 have returned.   The chrome
shop disassembled the pieces, so now I need to rivet them back together.   I
notice that Hansen Rivet & Supply Company have a gazillion different
versions of rivets.

1.        My first question: what is best material to request?   I believe I
should be requesting Stainless Steel Rivets.  Does anyone know if the SS
rivets can be squeezed with the HS22E hand rivet squeezer?   Perhaps
Aluminum rivets would be easier to squeeze, but I’m reluctant to use
aluminum since I’m afraid it would not look good against the chrome?

2.       My second question: What type head rivets should I request?

a.       For the two hooks it appears I should be seeking 1/8” Round Head
rivets

b.      For the small rivets connecting the two large pieces of the
windshield side mounts, it appears I should be seeking 1/8” Truss Head
rivets.

c.       For the bottom connections of the two large pieces of the
windshield side mounts, it appears I need 3/16” Round Head rivets.

d.      For the rivets securing the plain steel insert into the window side
mount, it appears I need 3/16” countersunk 90 degree heads.

3.       My third question:  Can the rivets be ordered to custom lengths? Or
should I request ½” rivets and just grind them down to the appropriate
length before squeezing?

Alternate solutions anyone?

Thanks

-skip-