[Healeys] Oil additives -- great informaton. Thanks.

Robert Begani rfbegani at gmail.com
Tue May 5 02:03:46 MDT 2020

Great article.  When was it published as there have been changes to oils in the past 10 years according to the API.  The new API rating is SN Plus for conventional oils which supersedes the old standard SN and SM.  Nevertheless the minimum requirement for ZDDP in all motor oils has been and continues to be approximately 800 ppm.  As the Mass article says, that is all we need, 800 PPM or 0.08%   Now look at the following from the Mopar Car Organization in 2013:

We recently analyzed nine motor oils using neutron activation analysis (NAA) to determine ZDDP content. Typically, ZDDP content is determined using a method called inductively coupled plasma atomic emission spectroscopy, which usually results in much higher uncertainties than NAA (our uncertainties were all below 2%). We may publish the data in an academic journal after some more tests are run (using different methods), so I'm not going to post the exact concentrations just yet. However, the oils are listed here in order from highest to lowest concentrations and a range of ppm is given. All oils tested were 10W30, except for the Comp Cams additive, which didn't specify a weight. Here are the results:
Comp Cams additive: 9500-9600 ppm
Brad Penn: 1600-1700 ppm
Valvoline VR1: 1200-1300 ppm
Rotella T: 1200-1300 ppm
Red Line: 1100-1200 ppm
Royal Purple: 800-900 ppm
Lucas: 800-900 ppm
Valvoline: 700-800 ppm
SuperTech (Walmart): 600-700 ppm

As you can see the conventional oil levels of ZDDP are in the 800 ppm range which seems to be the minimum required for our flat tappet engines, unless your engine has been built for performance.  So why spend $$$$ on high performance oil.  when conventional oil is satisfactory?

You know in the middle ages the priests would get together to debate "how many angels dance on the head of a pin"

Just my 2 cents.

Love this group.

Bob Begani