[Healeys] Oil additives -- great informaton. Thanks.

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sat May 2 10:00:58 MDT 2020

Not me, but I don't think I'd have any qualms using it (unless it's
majorly expensive; oil change frequency is at least as important as oil
brand/grade/type). Seems similar to something in use in the aviation
community for a long time: https://cessnaowner.org/camguard/ (but this
IS an additive).

I used to put miracle elixirs in my oil and gas--yes, I even tried the
infamous 'Slick 50,' possibly the product that started the additive rage
(maybe it was 'STP?')--but now I figure it's best to use
namebrand/TopTier gas and a reputable oil and change it often. From what
I can tell, quite a few Healey owners use VR-1, and I don't recall
anyone having an issue with it (doesn't mean it hasn't happened).

Not an additive, but I put an aftermarket oil/air separator ('catch
can') on my Mustang GT, and I'm glad I did; it catches about a teaspoon
of oil every thousand miles.  That oil would otherwise gunk up the
intake manifold (engine has both port and direct injection, but neither
helps keep the manifold clean).  Note this isn't a problem with a stock
Healey, as the SUs dump plenty of raw gas into the manifold (they even
need drains for the excess!).

Bob