[Healeys] Four cylinder woes, part two!

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Mar 15 10:37:20 MDT 2020

FWIW, I've used manganese-bronze guides--two sets--in my BJ8 for about
120K miles with nary a problem with the valve train.  For my last
overhaul, about 6K miles ago, my overhauler/machinist didn't bat an eye
when I brought the guides to him, and they are a highly-respected
performance shop.

TBH, I never gave my choice a lot of thought, it just seemed bronze was
the way to go.  Extensive research--okay, 10 minutes of searching the
interwebs--yielded a qualitative answer:

"Cast iron cannot be used with stainless steel [valves] because of its
tendency to gall."  ([] mine)

- https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2013/04/valve-seats-guides/

Again, I never gave it a thought, but went with stainless exhaust valves
since that seems to be the predominant option.

Bob