[Healeys] 3/8 BSF studs

Michael Salter michaelsalter at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 08:50:44 MDT 2020

The 100 that I'm restoring has been previously "restored" so I'm being
pretty careful with threads and running taps and chasers through any that
look even slightly suspicious.
The exhaust flange studs on a 100 (2K7708) are 3/8" BSF and 3 years back
the ones on this engine looked to be in such good shape that I decided that
running a chaser down them wasn't necessary.
Silly me!!
With one of the last jobs being installing one of my specially made single
sweeping curve front pipes I confidently started running the BSF nuts up to
secure the flange. On the last one the nut started well but after a few
turns became tight .... as is my usual practice I decided to back it off
and run a chaser up the stud to clean up the thread.
Ahhh Houston  .... the nut had seized tight on the thread and despite every
trick the stud eventually broke off at the top of the thread.
Now this is on an engine that I have painstakingly restored however,  there
was no option but to remove all the manifolds to replace the stud ...
Only after all that did I discover that this 1 stud had been replaced with
a UNF and that was why the brass nut had locked onto it ...
Yeeech!!!!!
How was your day?