[Healeys] Number of Center-change BN7s

gradea1 at charter.net gradea1 at charter.net
Sat Jun 20 11:16:57 MDT 2020

Picture this around 1961-1962...boom times for BMC...there is a huge
rack of engines and transmissions just adjacent to the production line
at Abingdon. The cars are coming down the rail and they expect to do
maybe 30 cars that day. The design/engineering department has just
introduced a revised centre change gearbox and they are in production
now. A truck is unloading them and stacking them on the shelves.
Due to the frugal attitude of BMC, all existing parts must be used up
before any new items can be introduced into production. So as the line
progressed the side shifter box inventory is exhausted and now the
centre shift is being installed...opps, one guy just located another
side shifter-stick in the next car coming down the line. Get it out
the door...
My take on the "records", Hank