[Healeys] Instrument Restoration

Healey 67healey at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 10:07:36 MDT 2020

I thought I should just give one final update on my speedo repair
experience to share with the list.
Based on this thread, I contacted both Nisonger & Foreign Speedo (that
Micheal recommended). I explained what the issues I knew were with my
speedo, including a broken pointer needle, and asked 2 basic questions:
What would be a rough time frame for having the speedo repaired?; What
would be a rough estimate? The results were very eye opening to say the
least!
Nisongers' response: 4 - 6 weeks, $185 to open the speedo & basic service +
cost of any required parts (pointer = $25)
Foreign Speedo's response: 2 weeks, $125 to open the speedo & full
service + the cost of any required parts (pointer = $18)
Needless to say, I decided to go with Foreign Speedo, and I am sure glad I
did. They basically had to replace *everything* inside the speedo except
the odometer assembly! and the total bill was just slightly more than what
it would have cost for the basic service from Nisonger + pointer!
Once I finally got the speedo back (USPS "lost" it for over a month - but
that's another story :-( ), it was perfect. However, what really set
Foregin Speedo apart was their after sales service. After re-installing the
speedo, the cable was only turning intermittently. Preston @ Foreign Speedo
correctly diagnosed it as the original angle drive, which they also repair.
Unfortunately from my USPS experience, I didn't want to have the
possibility of the same thing happening again, so Preston talked me through
how to fix it myself! Then, completely unexpectedly, a few days later I
received a brand new input shaft for the angle drive from them!
Oh, and did I mention that the actual repair only took a little over a week?
If only I had more speedos to repair, Foreign Speedo would get all my
business.
Service like this is very hard to find these days, so help support the
"little guy" - you won't be sorry!

[image: 20200522_125147.jpg]

[image: 20200618_070848.jpg]