[Healeys] Cleaning wire wheels

Bruce Steele healeybruce at roadrunner.com
Sun Jun 14 22:16:06 MDT 2020

For a light cleaning, I’ve used either Meguiar’s or Mother’s detailing spray on a microfiber rag for a quick wipe down.  When I need a more thorough cleaning, I pull them off and use Simple Green for stubborn brake dust, usually on the inside of the wheel, then Never Dull.  It’s pretty labor intensive, though I’ve gotten it down to around 20 minutes per wheel with using Slick Stixxx (aka Pimp Stixxx) from 40-45 minutes.  The Never Dull lasts quite a while and I like not having to rinse the wheels with water.

Regarding rinsing with water, one guy in the So Cal Healey club mixes up a dilute solution of Jet Dry and water, and sprays it on his wheels after cleaning to prevent water spotting on the chrome.  Haven’t tried it personally, but an interesting idea.

Bruce Steele

Brea, CA

1960 BN7