[Healeys] Fastener Curiosity

Michael MacLean rrengineer.mike at att.net
Fri Jun 5 02:41:27 MDT 2020

Here is one for you Healey fastener buffs.  I installed the rocker assembly to the BN2 engine tonight.  Before I started, I found that I had two complete sets of studs, nuts and washers to install on the head.  Finally getting to torque the pedestal nuts down I was surprised to find two of the nuts were a different size than the other six.  Let me back up a bit.  I was surprised to find BSF threaded nuts with flats that fit a 9/16ths socket.  The two different nuts would only fit a BSF/Whitworth socket.  So, I took out the other set of nuts and washers and found they all fit the BSF/Whitworth socket.  In the name of uniformity I used the BSF sized nuts on all the pedestal studs.  Just seems kind of crazy a nut that only fit a 9/16ths socket would have BSF threads.  What's up with that?Mike MacLean