[Healeys] Door Hinge center bolt

Curtis Arndt cnaarndt at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 17:51:08 MDT 2020

William, David and Michael,

These hex screws (at least the one shown on the hinge in the photo) is/are
UNF and *NOT BSF*!

The "B" is the strength rating code and equates to a mild steel screw
equivalent to a US Grade 2.

What denotes a UNF versus a BSF screw is the circular dimple/depression on
the head.  This is outlined in the Austin Service Journal, the Concours
Guidelines, and in the Anderson Moment book section on fasteners (which
BTW, I helped to write).

See the attached documents and the section from my 1957 Machinery's
Handbook on how Unified fasteners (UNC/UNF) are distinguished from
Whitworth (BSW/BSF) fasteners .  The circular depression means it's a
Unified fastener (in this case, a hex head screw).

Cheers,

Curt