[Healeys] HD8 dashpot damper

warthodson at aol.com warthodson at aol.com
Mon Jul 20 07:34:02 MDT 2020

I will assume you have the correct damper (vented or non-vented) for the application.Most people I know fill the dash pot damper tube by filling it up to the top of the tube. That is over filling. As soon as you insert the damper an amount of oil is displaced. When you remove the damper the oil level looks low, but it is not. To test the oil level insert the damper into the tube. At first the damper will go in easily, then you will sense resistance as you continue to insert it. That point is the level of the oil. Unless you are racing the car you should use the recommended oil for this application. Having to fill them every 2 tanks if gas, if they are actually loosing that much oil, is excessive. I would remove the dash pots, piston & damp. Examine them closely. Gary