[Healeys] 100 starter issue

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Jul 5 09:26:52 MDT 2020

By way of explanation, electricity flows better through a cold circuit
than it does a hot one ('superconductivity' requires near-zero degrees
Kelvin to work; 'room temperature superconductivity' is still a pipe
dream). What may be happening is the starter's field coils don't conduct
as well when hot, so the starter can't crank as well when it's
heat-soaked. If the starter has never been (properly) rebuilt, the cloth
wrap on the field coils is likely shot and allowing some leakage through
the windings. Also, a partial short anywhere in the starting circuit
could cause or contribute to the problem; when the engine is cold, try
cranking--without a start if possible (I don't recall if the key needs
to be in 'run' to crank, if so you can disconnect the low-voltage lead
to the coil)--and feel the cables and connection points, if any feel
inordinately warm check them out. A failing starter solenoid could also
contribute (though that's usually more random--at first). I had starter
issues--not heat-related--with my BN2, after a starter rebuild. I
finally figured out that, after the rebuild I'd put Grade 8 flat washers
and split washers under the nuts on the starter bolts; it turns out I'd
impinged the path to ground with the flat washers, when I took them off
the starter worked as it should.

Mike Martinez at Star Auto Electric has done starter and generator
rebuilds for me, and knows Healeys: http://starautoelectric.com/ (NFI)

Bob