[Healeys] FW: Re: Does synthetic oil leak more?

gradea1 at charter.net gradea1 at charter.net
Sun Jan 12 11:23:10 MST 2020

Food for thought

	-----------------------------------------From: gradea1 at charter.net
To: "warthodson at aol.com"
Sent: Sunday January 12 2020 10:18:59AM
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Does synthetic oil leak more?

	Found this info by looking for the molecule size of synthetic oil.
Most conventional oil is about 2 microns and that is why we set our
bearing clearance at .002 to allow the oil to pass. Early machining
does not match what we have today with the close tolerances we can now
achieve...so the finer synthetic runs out. If I run Redline in my
Healey trans it ends up on the floor. Regular 30W stays in, and only
leaves a quarter size puddle. Used lots of good sealant but that wont
keep the new oils in if they are good soldiers:

	"The main difference between synthetic motor oil and conventional
motor oil is found in their molecular structure. In a mineral oil, the
molecules come from organic, natural materials, and as we know, nature
isn't always consistent. There can sometimes be a few oddball
molecules in mineral oils. Synthetic oils [1], on the other hand, were
created by scientists in a lab. The molecules are uniform, and they
line up like good soldiers inside of your engine."  See illustration
attached- Hank

Healeys"