[Healeys] fuel pumps

Kees Oudesluijs coudesluijs at chello.nl
Tue Feb 18 23:09:46 MST 2020

I encountered this several times.

The diaphragm itself is probably not the problem. What is usually needed
is removing the diaphragm, clean it using e.g. brake cleaner, dry
thoroughly, apply a little smear of talcum powder between the layers of
the diaphragm if the old type multilayer diaphragm is used and assemble
and adjust the pump again.

What also can go wrong is the adjustment of the slotted piece of steel
under the cap. This needs to be turned ever so slightly with a plastic
tool until the pump runs at its fastest rate. A fiddly job. It is also
important that the magnet is positioned properly as it may influence the
throw of the diaphragm

If the pump is not delivering enough fuel the wrong type may have been
fitted. Often AZX1307EP is fitted which delivers a pressure of 2,7psi.
The correct  AZX1308EP (equivalent to the original AUF301) delivers
3,8psi. The only difference in the pumps is the spring under the diaphragm.

In general this does not seem to have much influence though.

If you keep a points pump as a spare in the boot, insert a piece of
accid free paper (e.g. rice paper) between the point. This will usually
prevent (electrolitic) corrosion of the points. Do not forget to remove
the paper when installing the pump. Stick a label to the top to remind you.

Kees Oudesluijs