[Healeys] A Christmas Story

llennep at verizon.net llennep at verizon.net
Sat Dec 26 19:22:25 MST 2020

Good one Hank!!

-----Original Message-----
From: gradea1 at charter.net
To: 'kentlambert1957 at gmail.com' <kentlambert1957 at gmail.com>
Cc: 'healeys at autox.team.net' <healeys at autox.team.net>
Sent: Sat, Dec 26, 2020 9:08 pm
Subject: Re: [Healeys] A Christmas Story

AChristmas Story by Hank LeachFriday,December 25, 20205:41PMThis is a story of anew trafficator lever, a lost filter and a new flashlight for Christmas. Howall three items relate is the makings of a Christmas Miracle. It starts out byfirst obtaining the correct trafficator (directional flasher) lever to fit onmy Austin Healey 100. That car uses the early adjustable steering setup so thatlever is a curved chrome handle (same one used on the later adjustables). The nonadjustable steering uses a black "birds beak" shaped lever.  That one was wrongly used on my 1953 BN1. Sowith new part in hand, the procedure is to remove the trafficator indicatorunit, disassemble it and replace the lever. Lets just say it’s a time consumingtask that requires nimble fingers and a set procedure. Upon completion of theproject its time to check the working characteristics. Turn on the key,listen for fuel pump to stop then check horn and flashers…uh, oh, fuel pump isnot stopping…stuck float. So now move to the rear carburettor float bowl,remove lid and free up brass float, clean needle and seat and check floatheight. Reassemble, being careful not to drop any parts. Darn, there goes the fibre washer, brass filter and spring. The washer was laying under the car, but thefilter was no where to be found. Looked everywhere on floor, within the enginebay, on the frame, on the suspension too, but it was not located…it justdisappeared. I tried blowing out the area with compressed air, then a vacuummaybe to suck it up from some obscure spot. Not found. That was Christmas Eve. Christmas Day weopen presents and one was a 500 Lumens flashlight from my Sister-in-law; she isso thoughtful. So, after we opened the gifts, I thought, why not try out thissuper-bright flashlight and see if I could to locate the elusive filter-its outthere somewhere. Shined the light on the engine, under the carbs, on the frameand master cylinder-where is it? As I moved the new flashlight toward the framesupport, it touched the edge and the lens fell out into the Healey frame.  You know that spot. It collects any part youare unable to find, and it is curved just enough that you can't see to thebottom where it ends on the frame rail. I shined the lens-less flashlight downthe frame and sure enough there was the lens…and the filter, and even a missingchoke lever return spring lost during the re-assembly in 2015. With the help ofthe flashlight and a long armed grabber all items are now retrieved. Back to thetrafficator, key on, horn and flashers work correctly with the new lever, soeverything was assembled correctly, including the overflowing float bowl…aChristmas Miracle.
Suggested annual donation  $12.75

Healeys at autox.team.net