[Healeys] Replacing the starter with a gear reduction starter

Bob Begani rfbegani at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 12:55:03 MST 2020

You may remember I mentioned my BJ8 would not start after a run because of
overheating.  the engine did turn over with a wrench, and 50 amp on the
starter made it only moan.  So I will replace the starter.  Many of you
have recommended a gear reduction starter which is available from Moss and
others.  What source do you recomend.?  Also, I see it shows an additional
bulge which must be the gears.  Will it fit into my BJ8 engine compartment
without having to remove the engine?  As it is I will have to take out the
tunnel to get to the starter bolts.

Another item I should have replaced when I rebuilt the engine was the oil
pump.  When the engine is hot the oil pressure drops to less that 20 psi at
idle.  This engine was rebuilt with only 20 over and is using the same cam
etc.  what  oil pump should i install and is the Moss pump a reasonable
replacement?

Regards,

Bob Begani